Syringe Vending Machine Trial Evaluation Report
A 12-month trial of syringe vending machines was conducted from February 2005 - January 2006. Four machines were included in the trial, with one machine at each of ACT Health's Community Health Centres at Civic, Belconnen, Tuggeranong and Phillip.
Siggins Miller Consultants conducted an evaluation of the trial. In summary, the evaluation report found that:
- The 12-month trial of syringe vending machines was implemented successfully with no adverse consequences identified
- Syringe vending machines improved access, particularly out of regular business hours, to sterile injecting equipment in the ACT
- Opportunites to implement additional machines should be explored.
- Syringe Vending Machine Trial Evaluation Report.pdf
- ACT Health Response to the Syringe Vending Machine Trial Evaluation Report.doc
For information about the ACT AOD sector visit the ACT Alcohol and Other Drugs Sector Website
DIRECTIONS ACT manages the ACT Needle and Syringe Program, including the syringe vending machines. More information about the Needle and Syring Program and other DIRECTIONS ACT services can be found at DIRECTIONS ACT.