D.7 Bushfire Risk Management
In 2013-14, the following ACT Health facilities in varying stages of development were located in rural zones that require plans to mitigate risks associated with bushfire-prone areas:
- Miowera (Ngunnawal Bush Healing Farm)
- Secure Mental Health Unit at Symonston.
Ngunnawal Bush Healing Farm
The following reports have been prepared for the Ngunnawal Bush Healing Farm and issued to the Emergency Services Authority (ESA):
- Bush Fire Assessment and Compliance Report - May 2013
- Bushfire Action Plan (BAP)- May 2013
- Bushfire Operations Plan (BOP) - May 2013.
These reports have been finalised and cover the extent of the group or organised camp area:
- A Firewise Plan was developed for the site in October 2008, which may require updating for the new facility pending advice from the ESA.
- The current land management agreement includes strategies for the reduction of fire fuel loads over the entire property through agistment. Annual licence agreements are in place to comply with this strategy.
Secure Mental Health Unit
A bushfire risk assessment was undertaken of the Secure Mental Health Unit at Symonston. It is currently in draft form. Consultation with the ESA (rural and urban firefighting units) is underway and the finalisation of this report is anticipated in July or August 2014.
ESA feedback has been incorporated in the preliminary sketch plan design for the facility. A BOP and BAP may be required for the facility and will be prepared during the final sketch plan stage of the project, pending ESA advice.