ACT Emergency Departments at Calvary Hospital will operate as normal over the Christmas and New Year period.
Visiting hours at Calvary Hospital are 11.00AM to 1.00PM and 3.00PM to 8:00PM daily.
For further information about service availability during the Christmas and New Year period please contact the Calvary Hospital switchboard: 6201 6111
The Calvary Hospital is a HETI accredited three term hospital in the ACT Network. It is about a 20 minute drive from Canberra Hospital.
It has over 258 beds and provides a range of acute care, including inpatient, outpatient and emergency department services.
It is affiliated with the Australian National University and has a commitment to high quality education for all of its trainees. JMOs are allocated to only HETI accredited terms.
- 24 hour emergency cardiology cover
- Inpatient Coronary Care Unit
- Inpatient cardiology ward patients
- Echocardiogram services
- Exercise stress testing
- Outpatient cardiac rehabilitation services
- Extensive research opportunities on cardiovascular diseases
- Weekly cardiology clinical meetings, cardiac catheter meetings and ECG interpretation tutorials
- Five general medical teams - each team supervised by physicians with sub-speciality interests including gastroenterology, respiratory medicine, cardiology, rheumatology, infectious diseases and geriatrics
- Inpatient workload and opportunity to participate in outpatients if interested
- Daily handover teaching rounds
- Weekly JMO tutorials on top of weekly JMO education sessions
- Weekly grand rounds
- Exposure to cardioversions in coronary care
- Exposure to endoscopies – exposure to common procedures such as nasogastric tube insertion, bladder catheterisation, defibrillation
- Weekly long case and short case sessions with VMOs for PREP trainees
- Monthly radiology teaching sessions
- The unit at Calvary Hospital provides expert orthopaedic management
- Exposure to the management of fractures, dislocations, soft tissue injuries, compartment syndromes, septic joints etc
- Exposure to elective procedures as well
- Procedural exposure to application of casts, tying surgical knots and suturing
- Weekly fracture clinics
- Daily elective and emergency trauma theatre lists
- Weekly x-ray case presentation sessions
- Weekly outpatient sessions
- Minimum of three per week teaching sessions with VMO’s
- Opportunity for anatomy study sessions
- Extensive opportunities for involvement in research
- 24 hour emergency cover
- Annually in excess of 48,000 patients managed
- Exposure to wide range of procedures including basic and advanced life support, plaster cast application, suturing, intubation and many others
- Daily unit tutorials
- Opportunity to be involved in the care of patients with mental health disorders in the outpatient setting and inpatient setting
- Exposure to the Mental Health Act
- Ability to participate in tribunal meetings
- Involvement in the Crisis and Assessment Treatment Team which provides emergency assessment and management of patients in the community
- A 28 bed unit at Calvary Hospital provide rehabilitation needs for inpatients and outpatients in ACT
- Exposure geriatric rehabilitation and post orthopaedic rehabilitation
- Weekly multidisciplinary meetings
- Opportunity to attend unit meetings throughout the hospital
- Three general surgical teams covering most general surgical problems including breast cancer surgery and reconstruction, endocrine surgery, upper GI soft tissue tumours, colorectal malignancies, melanoma, urological and hernia surgeries, advanced laparoscopic procedures.
- Elective ENT, maxillofacial, ophthalmological and vascular procedures
- JMOs liaise directly with consultants
- Daily theatre lists
- Weekly JMO tutorials
- Weekly grand rounds
Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Unit providing antenatal care, postnatal assessment, inpatient and outpatient gynaecological management
- Weekly teaching sessions
- Weekly audit meetings
- Weekly journal clubs
- Daily theatre list in elective surgery
Make a difference - join ACT Health
A career at ACT Health recognises and rewards skill and experience, with progression through clinical, research, education and management pathways at all levels.
This button takes you to a full listing of ACT Health's current vacancies:
Contact ACT Health's Medical Officer Support Unit by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 2 6244 2779.