Falls & Falls Injury Prevention Program
Health Directorate's Falls & Falls Injury Prevention Program works with individuals and community organisations, to raise awareness of how to prevent falls in older adults.
Our services include:
- Prevention and early intervention;
- Providing and developing local community education activities and resources.
- Providing individual advice and information.
- Education programmes for medical and other healthcare staff.
- Stepping On (a community based education program for clinets over 70 years)
Assessment and Treatment
- Falls prevention referral process for the ACT Ambulance Service;
- Community based multidisciplinary assessment, clinics at Belconnen Health Centre and the Independent Living Centre;
The community based assessment no longer has a Geriatrician component. If a Geriatrician assessment is required then please refer to Community Health Intake line on (02) 6207 9977.
Downloadable fact sheets
|Download:||Fact Sheet 1 Take Control Don't let a fall ruin you day (PDF File - 317k)|
Fact Sheet 2 Stay active and strong (PDF File - 328k)
Fact Sheet 3 Footcare and Safe Footwear (PDF File - 268k)
Fact Sheet 4 Reducing Hazards (PDF File - 317k)
Fact sheet 5 Eyesight and walking (PDF File - 270k)
Fact Sheet 6 Medicines & Balance (PDF File - 339k)
Fact Sheet 7 Carers Information (PDF File - 240k)
Fact Sheet 8 Fear of falling Have no fear (PDF File - 295k)
Fact Sheet 9 Water (PDF File - 365k)
Fact Sheet 10 Continence (PDF File - 220k)
Fact Sheet 12 Dizziness (PDF File - 382k)
Fact Sheet 13 Posturual Hypotension (PDF File - 214k)
Fact Sheet 14 Osteoporosis in Older Adults (PDF File - 352k)
Fact Sheet 15 Hip Protectors (PDF File - 222k)
Fact Sheet 16 Ladder safety (PDF File - 281k)
Clients aged 65 years and over and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders aged 55 years and over who:
- have experienced a fall;
- are restricted in their normal daily activities due to a fear of falling; or
- report (or their carers observe) increasing disturbances in their balance or walking.
Referrals for assessment at the Community clinics can be made through the Community Health Intake line on (02) 6207 9977 or fax CHI referral form to 6205 2611 or email CHI referral form to ChiIntake@act.gov.au
Services are available weekdays Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5pm (excluding Public Holidays)
We are located in the City Health Building, Level 3, 1 Moore St, Canberra City.
No fees for service.
Contact the Falls & Falls Injury Prevention Program on (02) 6205 5161.