SKIP (School Kids Intervention Program)
SKIP is a multidisciplinary, family-centred service for children aged 4-12 years with overweight and obesity. It aims to improve the health and wellbeing of children and their families.
SKIP is based on best practice. Families will have regular access to a paediatric specialist, a paediatric dietitian, an exercise physiologist and a psychologist all at the same location. Health professionals will work collaboratively and with the family to develop goals that support improvements to health and wellbeing.
- Children and their families may be eligible for SKIP if they meet the following criteria:
- Children are aged 4 to 12 years of age (primary school children only)
- Children have a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than the 95th percentile for age and gender or BMI greater than the 85th percentile with comorbidities. Comorbidities include, but are not limited to, type I or II diabetes, pre-diabetes (e.g. impaired glucose tolerance, impaired fasting glucose, hyperinsulinaemia), dyslipidaemia, asthma, sleep apnoea, musculoskeletal conditions.
- Psychological illness that impairs ability to actively participate in treatment program
- Binge eating with concurrent purging (vomiting, laxatives, excessive exercise).
The service is open to clients in the ACT and surrounding areas.
For ACT Health health professionals: Please complete the SKIP Referral form and email it to SKIP@act.gov.au. Referrals should include client details (name, date of birth, client ID, address, contact details), height, weight and BMI and relevant medical history and blood results
For non-ACT Health health professionals: Please complete the SKIP Referral form and send it via fax to (02) 6205 1591. Referrals should include client details (name, date of birth, address, contact details), height, weight and BMI and relevant medical history and blood results
For self referrals: Families can contact the SKIP Coordinator by phone or email (see below).
Phone: (02) 6205 4177
SKIP is located at Belconnen Community Health Centre. 56 Lathlain St (on the corner of Lathlain and Wales Street), Belconnen.