Creative vegetable and fruit ideas
- Add grated vegetables to dishes such as meatloaf, rissoles and spaghetti bolognaise.
- Add extra vegetables to stews, stir fries, pasta sauces and pizzas.
- Include vegetable snacks in morning/afternoon teas and lunch boxes e.g., home-made pop corn, raw vegetable sticks with salsa dip, jacket potatoes.
- Add chopped fruit to breakfast cereal instead of sugar.
- Sweeten muffins, pancakes and cakes with fruit instead of adding sugar.
- Blend fruit with milk to make fruit smoothies.
- Blend and freeze fruit to make fruit icy poles.
- Make colourful fruit kebabs.
Pumpkin and broccoli risotto
2 tsp butter or margarine
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 onion, chopped
2 cups arborio rice
375ml can CarnationTM light evaporated milk
1 litre chicken stock or stock powder/cubes
(extra water or stock may be needed)
500g pumpkin, peeled and chopped
2 cups broccoli flowerets
Melt butter in pan, add garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute. Add rice, stir to combine. Add CarnationTM milk, stock and pumpkin, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer covered for 15 minutes. Add broccoli, salt and pepper, simmer covered a further 5 minutes. Serve with grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Allow for each serving:
1 large or 2 small firm bananas
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon orange juice
Arrange bananas in a greased ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the other ingredients and cover. Cook in a medium oven about 10-15 minutes until banana has softened. Serve hot with vanilla yoghurt, ice cream or custard.
Munch into veg and fruit everyday