How Much Water or Fluid?
The amount of water or fluid an infant or child needs varies depending on factors such as body size, environmental conditions, normal dietary intake and level of physical activity. As a guide though, 1-1.5 litres per day, is suggested. From 12 months of age onwards it is recommended that most of this fluid is tap water.
Encouraging children to drink water
- Introduce water soon after introducing solids.
- Provide children with their own water bottles, which they can take with them wherever they go.
- Make tap water readily available, particularly at meal and snack times.
- Always have a jug or bottles of tap water in the fridge.
- Only have sweetened drinks on special occasions.
Tap water vs bottled water
Tap water is preferable to commercial bottled water because tap water contains fluoride. Fluoride is essential for helping to prevent tooth decay and tooth erosion.
Tap into water everyday