Incident at Canberra Hospital Emergency Department
Canberra Hospital can confirm an incident at the Emergency Department (ED) this afternoon at about 4pm, where ACT Policing were in attendance. ACT Policing have advised the incident has been contained and there is no further threat to public safety.
Services at the ED have been impacted with areas of the ED closed. The Hospital is working with ACT Policing to bring these areas back online as quickly as possible and we ask the community for their patience at this time.
The Canberra Hospital ED is still operational. However, we would encourage people with non-life or limb threatening injuries and/or illnesses to consider alternative treatment options to attending the ED tonight. These include:
- Community Pharmacist – your local pharmacist is qualified to give you expert advice on many health issues;
- healthdirect – call 24 hours a day seven days a week on 1800 022 222 for free expert advice and reassurance;
- Walk-in-Centres – for one-off treatment of minor illness and injuries for those over the age of two, see a specialist nurse seven days a week. Walk-in Centres are located in the Belconnen and Tuggeranong Community Health Centres and are open from 7.30am to 10pm daily;
- General Practitioners – for ongoing comprehensive health care for everyone, including those with acute problems, children under two years and those who have complex medical problems, your GP is your best option;
- CALMS – 1300 422 567, the call centre is open weeknights from 6pm and all day weekends and public holidays, with CALMS clinics open from 8pm; and
- National Home Doctor Service – 137425, from 6pm weeknights to 12pm on Saturday and all day Sunday and public holidays. All National Home Doctor Service after hours GP home visits are bulk billed.
People who are seriously ill with a genuine medical emergency, should always call 000 or seek treatment through their closest ED.
Further enquiries in relation to the incident should be directed to ACT Policing.
Media contacts: ACT Health Media M 0403 344 080 E firstname.lastname@example.org