Diabetes Nutrition Service
The ACT Health Diabetes Service provides group and individual appointments for people with diabetes, gestational diabetes, impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance. Dietitians work in a multidisciplinary team with diabetes educators, podiatrists, social workers and endocrinologists.
We are located at
- The Canberra Hospital
- Centenary Hospital for Women and Children
- Winnungah Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service
- Tuggeranong, Belconnen and Gungahlin Community Health Centres
Inpatient Nutrition Care
We provide individual nutrition care for patients admitted to the Canberra Hospital and Centenary Hospital for Women and Children, when diabetes input is required.
The majority of diabetes services occur in outpatient clinics.
Paediatric services are provided at the Centenary Hospital for Women and Children and an outreach service is provided at the Gungahlin Health Centre.
Adults services are provided at the Canberra Hospital and Tuggeranong, Belconnen and Gungahlin Health Centres.
Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander peoples can utilise all diabetes services but have the additional option of accessing diabetes services at Winnungah Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service
Group education services are offered as an initial point of contact for different types of diabetes.
Groups available include:
- Gestatational diabetes
- Pre diabetes
- Step one (introduction to type two diabetes)
- Staying well with diabetes
We also offer groups for type one diabetes including:
- Carbohydate counting
- Choosing insulin pumps
- Pre insulin pump education
- Advanced insulin pump management
- A practical guide to pre-diabetes in Canberra - a comprehensive self help booklet for people diagnosed with impaired fasting glucose or impaired glucose tolerance
- GI explained - the glycaemic index ranks the blood glucose response after eating a certain food. A low GI diet may be beneficial for people with diabetes and those who are trying to lose weight. Information is provided on the glycaemic index for common foods
- Food for diabetes - my meal plan (a simple guide for food choices for people with type two diabetes until they are seen by a dietitian)
- Smart device applications and online resources for better diabetes management - provides information on useful and reliable online resources and smart device applications for diabetes self management. Includes two separate evaluation tools to assess the appropriateness of online resources and smart device applications
- The Australian Diabetes Council also produces a variety of fact sheets for people with diabetes.
If you require a hard copy of these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (02) 6174 5311