Women, Youth & Children Nutrition Service
The Women, Youth & Children Nutrition team provides a free service to children, young people and their families. Dietitians can provide advice on a range of nutrition topics including fussy eating, introducing solids, weight management, food allergy and intolerance, disorded eating and healthy eating during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Phone (02) 6207 9977, 8am - 5pm weekdays
We provide services at the Phillip; Tuggeranong; City; Belconnen and Gungahlin Health Centres and the West Belconnen Child and Family Centre.
Consensus on Infant Feeding Guidelines
A recent Australian Summit involving healthcare professional groups, consumer groups, government, industry and research groups has reached consensus on recommendations for infant feeding and allergy prevention.
The following guidelines are consistent with the NHMRC Infant Feeding Guidelines and are recommended for all parents to follow.
- When your infant is ready, at around 6 months, but not before 4 months, start to introduce a variety of solid foods, starting with iron rich foods, while continuing breastfeeding.
- All infants should be given allergenic solid foods including peanut butter, cooked egg, dairy and wheat products in the first year of life. This includes infants at high risk of allergy.
- Hydrolysed (partially and extensively) infant formula are not recommended for prevention of allergic disease.
The Summit consensus has been reported on Radio National’s Health Report:
ASCIA Guidelines for infant feeding and allergy prevention and information on how to introduce solid foods to infants has been released on the ASCIA website:
For more information on introducing solids to your baby:
- From Milk to More Booklet
- Talk to your MACH Nurse or GP.
- Make an appointment with an ACT Health Community Dietitian by phoning 6207 9977.
Individual appointments are offered for people under 25 years and pregnant and breastfeeding women. Appointments are free and self referrals are welcome.
|Health Centre||Address||Clinic Day|
|West Belconnen Child & Family Centre||6 Luke St, Holt||Monday|
|Tuggeranong Health Centre||Anketell St, Greenway||Monday|
|Belconnen Community Health Centre||Corner of Cohen & Lathlain Sts, Belconnen||Tuesday|
|City Health Centre||1 Moore St, Canberra City||Tuesday|
|Phillip Health Centre||Corinna St, Phillip||Thursday|
|Gungahlin Community Health Centre||Corner of Ernest Cavanagh St & Fussell Lane, Gungahlin||Friday|
Community Nutrition Requests
Dietitians provide presentations and workshops on a range of nutrition topics. If you are interested in a nutrition workshop please complete the Request for Nutrition Involvement Form and send to WYC-Nutrition@act.gov.au.
Select a nutrition topic below to download.
If you would like a hard copy of any of the resources please complete the form below.