Breastfeeding is the optimal way to feed your baby and provides many benefits for you both. Some of them include:
Helps you return to your pre-pregnancy weight and health.
- Protects against breast and ovarian cancer.
- Reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
For your baby
- Breast milk provides all the nutrients your baby needs for around the first six months.
- Breast milk is easy for your baby to digest.
- Breast milk reduces the risk of many diseases such as diarrhoea and ear infections.
- Breastfeeding helps you bond with your baby.
- Breastfeeding is convenient and free.
- Breastfeeding is environmentally friendly.
‘I decided to try after I learnt how good it is for me, my baby and our relationship. I am so glad I did. I did it by surrounding myself with people who supported breastfeeding. I loved it.’
Young parents and new parents can find information here:
- Breastfeeding Confidence – Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA)
- 10 Facts on Breastfeeding – World Health Organization
- Breastfeeding Frequently Asked Questions – ABA
If you are interested in reading the scientific research, here is a reliable resource: