Maternity Services Across the Canberra Region
Three hospitals across the Canberra region offer women greater maternity choices and the opportunity to birth at a hospital closer to home.
In addition to the Centenary Hospital for Women and Children, Calvary Public Hospital and Queanbeyan District Hospital also offer a full range of maternity choices for expectant mothers.
Calvary Public Hospital
With recently refurbished maternity rooms, Calvary Public Hospital offers a range of safe birthing options, including:
- Comprehensive Antenatal education and transition to parenthood programs
- Continuity of Midwifery Care Services (CMCS) Birth Centre
- Suitable for low risk women wanting an active birth and natural pain relief, with minimal intervention and a short stay in hospital.
- Care is provided by the same midwife throughout the woman’s pregnancy, labour, birth and postnatal period.
- Standard Hospital Care
- Suitable for women with low to moderate risk pregnancy.
- Multidisciplinary antenatal maternity care in the Antenatal Clinic
- Special Care Nursery
- Midcall home care after discharge
- Shared patient accommodation
Calvary Public Hospital also offers free undercover parking, making it easier for you to access your antenatal appointments.
Images of Calvary’s Birth Centre and Birth Suite are available on their website.
To find out more about the maternity services offered at Calvary Public Hospital, come along to a guided tour of Calvary’s Maternity Unit, every Sunday at 2.30pm, or visit the maternity services section of the Calvary Public Hospital website.
Queanbeyan District Hospital
Queanbeyan District Hospital is a great option for women from South Eastern New South Wales who require maternity services. As an acute care public hospital operated by the Southern New South Wales Local Health District, which incorporates general medical, surgical and specialist services. The hospital has free parking and is easily accessible for patients attending appointments.
The Queanbeyan District Hospital Maternity Unit is a low acuity ward dealing with low-risk pregnancies. There are three birthing suites and seven postnatal beds, staffed by about 20 full and part-time staff. These include highly skilled nurses, midwives, medical officers, allied health professionals, maternity specialists, registrars and obstetricians, who work together in a shared care model to ensure the safety of both mother and baby.
To find out more about the full range of maternity services offered at Queanbeyan District Hospital, please call (02) 6298 9265. You can also attend a guided tour of the Maternity Unit on any Sunday afternoon at 2.30pm by calling (02) 6298 9265.