Social Workers at the Canberra Hospital can provide counselling and assistance with concerns relating to pregnancy or parenting while you are pregnant or in hospital. They can also help to plan and organise services to support you at home with your baby.
Women using the Canberra Hospital Maternity Services, and their families, are eligible for this service.
Social Work assistance may include:
- Counselling about parenting issues, relationship issues or concerns about antenatal or postnatal depression.
- Information about, and referral to appropriate services in the community.
- Assistance to young parents, ensuring preparation and support for parenting.
- Additional support to women on opiate replacement therapies or using drugs or alcohol.
- Counselling and support for families with babies in the Department of Neonatology.
- Bereavement support, and counselling in the event of pregnancy loss or the death of a baby.
Social workers are available during business hours. After hours social workers are available for urgent situations on weekends and in the evenings until 2130 hrs.
Phone the Social Work Department on (02) 6244 2152.
Your Ward or Antenatal Clinic Midwife can also contact a social worker for you.