Parents and caregivers
When a baby starts to cry and you start to feel your emotions rise, it is time to take a break.
- Put your baby in a safe place. Close your eyes and take long, deep breaths. After one minute, pick baby back up. You may have other calming exercises, but focusing your attention on a few deep breaths without any other visual distraction is a good start.
- Keep the baby monitor with you, and check in on your baby with a quick visit every 10 to 15 minutes or so until you feel calm enough to pick them up.
- If this doesn’t work, reach out and call someone.
There are a number of methods you can use to relax, here are some you can try:
- Listen to music
- Take a warm bath
- Watch TV
- Doing your usual routines, hanging out the washing, preparing a meal
- Talk to someone
- Remember to laugh often
- Sleep when your baby sleeps
For more detailed information about techniques you can use, visit the Period of PURPLE Crying program.