This is an exciting time for Allied Health in the ACT.
We're committed to supporting continuing professional development and providing our health professionals with attractive career progression opportunities.
In this section:
LATEST NEWS @ NOVEMBER 2012
NOMINATIONS NOW OPEN-2012 ALLIED HEALTH AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE
The Office of the Allied Health Adviser coordinates the annual Allied Health Awards for Excellence program. As per below, the program now recognises 6 categories of excellence with the introduction in 2012 of a new award Early Career Excellence.
All individual award recipients are eligible for consideration for the award of Allied Health Professional of the Year.
- Award for Allied Health Assistant Excellence
- Award for Clinical Excellence
- Award for Early Career Excellence (NEW!)
- Award for Education Excellence
- Award for Management and Leadership Excellence
- Award for Research Excellence
Further information about the Awards program can be downloaded at the link below, including nomination form, rules and guidelines and eligible allied health disciplines.
GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN TERTIARY EDUCATION
Applications are now open for the Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Education-please click on link below for further information including Fact Sheet and Application Form.health.act.gov.au/professionals/allied-health/clinical-education/Applications close Friday 23rd November 2012.
2013 ALLIED HEALTH SYMPOSIUM-"NEW FRONTIERS-LOOKING FORWARD/LOOKING BACK"-Wednesday 27th March 2013
|Download:||2013 Symposium Brochure (Microsoft Word Macro Document - 42k)|
Call for Papers and Posters-OPEN NOW!
- Have you got a presentation or poster that aligns with looking to the future, a new service development or initiative, workforce redesign, advanced and extended scope roles, lessons learnt, new horizons,visions for the future????? then consider presenting a paper and/or a poster!
The Call for Papers and Posters opened on Monday 12th November 2012 and all relevant documentation is available at the links below. Interested applicants should download the 2013 Allied Health Symposium brochure (see above) as it contains important information about the Call for Papers and Call for Posters-including an exciting new funding initiative for the design and production of posters.
We also encourage you to attend an Information Session for Prospective Presenters and Posters, to be held Tuesday 27th November 2012,3.30pm-4.30pm at The Canberra Hospital. Full details available at health.act.gov.au/professionals/allied-health/initiatives/allied-health-symposium
Please note-The Call for Papers and the Call for Posters closes on Friday 21st December 2012.
|Download:||2013 Call for Posters Form (Microsoft Word Macro Document - 96k)|
Call for Papers Form (Microsoft Word Macro Document - 83k)
- Feel free to look at presentations from 2011 as a guide to getting started-2011 Presentations
REGISTRATION opens on Capabiliti from Monday 12th November 2012 and all ACT Health Directorate staff are required to register via Capabiliti.
Staff external to the Directorate are requested to complete a paper-based registration form which will be available at this site from Monday 12th November 2012.
|Download:||Registration Form-Non Health Directorate staff only (Microsoft Word Macro Document - 42k)|
Need more information?
Go to health.act.gov.au/professionals/allied-health/initiatives/allied-health-symposium, OR
NATIONAL REGISTRATION NEWS
All allied health practitioners with an occupational requirement to be registered and who wish to or are working for the ACT Health Directorate must comply with the Directorate's Annual Renewal of Professional Registration Policy and the associated Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Allied Health.
|Download:||Annual Renewal of Professional Registration Policy (PDF File - 78k)|
All registrations must be renewed on or prior to 30 November each year.
Please note that the current SOP has been revised and is due to be tabled at Executive Council in November 2012. The revised SOP includes the four new professions that joined the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme (NRAS) on 01 July 2012.
The four professions are:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Practice;
News from 2011
2011 Allied Health Awards for Excellence
It was a great occasion when over 150 allied health professionals came together at the National Gallery of Australia on Wednesday 9th November 2011 to acknowledge the nominees and recipients of this year’s Allied Health Awards for Excellence.
Nominations were received for 4 of the 5 award categories as listed below.
2011 Allied Health Award for Allied Health Assistant Excellence
Nominee and Recipient: Sharon Kettle, Physiotherapy Assistant, Calvary Health Care ACT
2011 Allied Health Award for Clinical Excellence
Nominee: Community Rehabilitation Team,Division of Rehabilitation, Aged & Community Care.
Nominee: Amy Dobby, Occupational Therapist, Acute Support Occupational Therapy, Operational Support,(Canberra Hospital and Health Services).
Recipient:John Couto Social Worker/Counsellor, Counselling & Treatment Service,Alcohol & Drug Services,Division of Mental Health, Justice Health and Alcohol and Drug Services
2011 Allied Health Award for Education Excellence
Nominee: Rosalyn Stanton, Physiotherapy Clinical Educator,Division of Rehabilitation, Aged & Community Care.
Recipient:Dr Johann Sheehan, Mental Health Promotion,Prevention and Early Intervention Officer,Mental Health Policy Unit, Policy and Government Business, Strategy & Corporate
2011 Allied Health Award for Management & Leadership Excellence
Nominee:Miriam Lawrence, Deputy Director Pharmacy Services-Clinical and Safety,Division of Medicine.
Recipient:Lisa Gilmore, Acting Director, Acute Support Physiotherapy Service, Operational Support, Canberra Hospital and Health Services
All award recipients were eligible for consideration for the overall award of
Allied Health Professional of the Year and the 2011 recipient was announced as LISA GILMORE
2011 Allied Health award recipients
Speech Pathology Workforce Review Project
In response to identified workforce issues in speech pathology the Office of the Allied Health Adviser commenced a 24 week project in June 2011.
More information regarding this project can be viewed at www.health.act.gov.au/professionals/allied-health/projects
Nutrition and Dietetics Scope of Practice Project
The Allied Health Adviser’s Office has recently completed a 20 week project which looked at the following:
- Map the scope of practice for clinical dietetics in ACT Health’s existing Nutrition and Dietetics workforce; and
- Research the scope of practice for nutrition and dietetics nationally and internationally, including extended scope of practice (ESP).
Updates on this project will be made available at www.health.act.gov.au/professionals/allied-health/projects
- Physiotherapy Extended Scope of Practice Project
- Social Work New Graduate Year Project
|Download:||Communiqué 2010 (Microsoft Word Document - 36k)|
Allied Health Initiatives
- Allied Health Clinical Education
- Allied Health Scholarships
- Graduate Certificate in Higher Education (University of Canberra)
- Health Professional Level 3 Personal Up-grade Scheme
- Research Mentoring Program
- Chinese Medicine;
- Medical Radiation Practice-diagnostic radiographers, radiation therapists and nuclear medicine technologists;
- Discipline Links
- Grant and Scholarship links for Allied Health Professionals
- Health Professional Salary Information
- Office of the Allied Health Adviser
- Recruitment information
- Standards of Practice for ACT Allied Health Professionals
- HP1-6: Explanation of Professional Classifications
|Download:||Review of Health Professional & Related Classifications January 2004 (PDF File - 667k)|
- Occupational therapy.