Past Scheme Information
The Health Professional Level 3 Personal Upgrade for Recognition of Excellence Scheme was conceived as a result of feedback received during the 2003 ACT Health, Review of Health Professionals and related classifications. The feedback from staff at the time indicated that there was limited opportunity for organisational recognition in a manner that acknowledged professional excellence.
The Upgrade Scheme was subsequently introduced in 2005/2006 enabling eligible applicants to submit an application in response to the Scheme’s assessment criteria.
Successful applicants are advanced to the restricted pay points of HP3.4 and HP3.5.
The Scheme has been operational since 2006 and in 2014 was subject to a formal review. Recommendations from the review are yet to be endorsed and any endorsed outcomes will not impact the Scheme’s operation in 2015 nor impact any previously successful applicants or those assessed as successful in 2015.
The Scheme requires applicants to initially meet eligibility criteria as listed:
- Permanent employee of an ACT Government Directorate or Calvary Health Care Bruce; and
- Must be permanent employee at HP3 Pay Point 3 and have been at HP3.3 for at least 12 months* up to and including the Scheme closing date of 30 June 2015;
- Not be subject to an under-performance arrangement;
*Prospective applicants who have not been permanently employed in ACT Government or Calvary Health Care Bruce for the required minimum 12 months at HP3.3 and are of the opinion that their immediate past employment is of equivalent work level standard can seek to demonstrate ‘jurisdictional equivalence’ for the shortfall of time however please note this assessment is conducted separately and the onus of proof is on the applicant. Any prospective applicant considering this should make contact with the Scheme Contact Officer to discuss their individual situation as soon as possible prior to preparing any application.
In order to submit an application prospective applicants are required to read all the information provided at the document links below.
The background documents include:
Application documents include:
Referee report form-see Guide for Referees
The Scheme Secretariat is available to meet with individual applicants to discuss the Scheme, the eligibility criteria, the assessment criteria, preparing an application, the level and amount of evidence required, referee reports and document submission questions.
You are encouraged to make contact with the Secretariat prior to preparing an application to clarify eligibility issues.
The Scheme Secretariat is not part of the assessment process and no preliminary assessment of an application or its likelihood of success can be provided.
5:00pm - 30 June 2015
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply?
- You must be permanently appointed at the Health Professional Level 3, pay point 3, and
- Not be subject to current under-performance process, and
- Have served a minimum 12 months at HP3 pay point 3, or
- Have worked for 3 years as a HP3, or other jurisdictional equivalent.
What is Excellence?
Examples of excellence can include, but are not limited to, sustained activity in:
- Development, implementation and evaluation of significant and relevant project(s) or service change(s) that enhance the efficiency and and/or effectiveness of organisational service;
- Professional Leadership, through mentoring and fostering learning and development in others
- Formal Research, undertaking a significant research project which is relevant to their clients and workplace colleagues.
I have been in my position for a long time, shouldn't I get the upgrade automatically?
Length of service with the organisation does not necessarily imply excellence but it is important in terms of assessing an applicant's eligibility. To be eligible to apply to the Scheme an applicant must have been at HP3 pay point 3 for a minimum of 12 months or have worked for the previous 3 years as a HP3. Applicants considering making an application in 2015 and who have not been at pay point 3 for the required minimum 12 month period and who wish to claim eligibility on the basis of previous employment being at a HP3 equivalent level are asked to contact the Scheme Secretariat as soon as possible to discuss their application and eligibility.
I am on an Special Employment Arrangement (SEA)-can I still apply for the HP3 Upgrade?
YES- The HP3 competency paypoints, HP3.4 and HP3.5, are adjusted to reflect the relevant SEA provision.
I am really good at my job, I am on higher duties - does that mean that I'm eligible?
This scheme is for those who extend beyond what is required of their substantive HP3 position, and by doing so, contribute enhanced value and excellence to their profession and workplace. If you are wondering whether you are eligible, please review your Duty Statement and read this in conjunction with the Upgrade Assessment Criteria. If you believe your Duty Statement does not reflect your current role please discuss this with your manager.
- Any application that is submitted must be based on claims pertaining to the applicant's substantive HP3 position and not based on periods of higher duties.
- Applicants and their supervisor/manager are strongly encouraged to have a discussion prior to any application being prepared.
- Similarly, applicants are encouraged to discuss their intention to apply with their proposed referee.
- The Scheme Secretariat strongly encourages all prospective applicants to make a time to meet with the Secretariat to discuss their eligibility, the assessment criteria and the application format.
Contact Scheme Secretariat Sally Ranford, Office of the Chief Allied Health Officer on (02) 6205 2494 or Sally.Ranford@act.gov.au