ACT Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards
ACT Nursing & Midwifery Excellence Awards 2017
Globally, nurses and midwives are recognised every year through:
The International Day of the Midwife which is celebrated annually on 5 May.
The theme for 2017 is yet to be released.
The International Nurses Day which is celebrated annually on 12 May.
In 2017 nurses will commemorate the theme: Nurses: a voice to lead – achieving the sustainable development goals.
The ACT Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards celebrate the distinctive contribution made individually and/or collectively by nurses and midwives to the people they care for. The Awards recognise the outstanding professional accomplishments made within the public and private hospitals and the community-based and primary health care sectors of the Territory.
The 2017 commemorative events are scheduled throughout the week of 5-12 May and include:
Friday 5 May 2017
International Midwives Day
Tuesday 9 May 2017
The Australian War Memorial [1330 hours]
Thursday 11 May 2017
Nursing & Midwifery Excellence Awards Dinner
Hellenic Club 1800 hrs
Friday 12 May 2017
International Nurses Day
Activity to be advised
ACT Nursing & Midwifery Office
Inquiries may be directed to:
Senior Nurse Advisor
P: 6244 4980
ACT Excellence Awards for Nurses & Midwives 2016
Congratulations to all winners of the 2016 ACT Excellence Awards
- The ACT Nurse of the Year was awarded to Anne Corney, a Clinical Nurse Consultant for the gastroenterology ward at Canberra Hospital
- The ACT Midwife of the Year was awarded to Hana Sayers, a midwife from Calvary Healthcare in Bruce
- The ACT Team of the Year was awarded to Calvary Hospital Emergency Department Nursing Staff
The winners of the five category awards for excellence include :
- Excellence in Clinical Practice – Kathleen Cook, Intensive Care Unit, Canberra Hospital
- Excellence in Educational Practice – Simone Nahon, Gastroenterology, Canberra Hospital
- Excellence in Leadership Practice – Christine Falez, Maternity Services, Calvary Health Care Bruce
- Excellence in Management Practice – Matt Luther, Emergency Department, Calvary Health Care Bruce
- Excellence in Quality Improvement/Research Practice – Hospital in the Home, Canberra Hospital
The 2016 ACT Chief Nurse Commendation – Emergency Department Nursing Team, Canberra Hospital
Some highlights from the 2016 Awards ceremony are included here: