Nurse Practitioners in the ACT
Establishing the role of nurse practitioners is part of the ACT Government's commitment to building a strong, sustainable nursing workforce.
Nurse Practitioner (NP) roles provide an exciting opportunity to develop new and innovative models of health service delivery and facilitate the development of the ACT as a centre of nursing & midwifery excellence.
Standard Operating Procedure
The following Standard Operating Procedure pertains to all NPs and other relevant stakeholders who are involved in the establishment, implementation and evaluation of NP positions in the ACT.
This Standard Operating Procedure will inform:
- organisations considering implementation of NP services,
- the NP of their role and responsibilities in the establishment and implementation of a NP position,
- registered nurses considering employment in a NP position, and
- registered nurses employed within the ACT wishing to enrol in courses leading to endorsement as an NP.
It is important to note that, just as with any other professional qualification or authorisation, being registered as a NP does not automatically result in a position being created.
Any registered nurse, considering the clinical career pathway of NP, must be aware that course enrolment and successful study completion to attain authorisation is done so with the knowledge that this may not result in employment opportunities in the particular speciality area as a NP.
Please download from the list below and complete as required:
- Appendix 1 - Establishment of a NP Position flow chart
- Appendix 2 - Business Case Application for Establishment of a NP Position
- Appendix 3 - Clinical Practice Guidelines Process Flow Chart
- Appendix 4 - Nurse Practitioner CPG Template
- Appendix 5 - Clinical Practice Guidelines Critical Appraisal Tool
For additional information please contact:
Nursing and Midwifery Office
Level 3, Building 6, Canberra Hospital
PO Box 11, Woden, ACT 2606
Phone: (02) 6244 2147