To support the Culture Review Oversight Group, the Culture Review Implementation Steering Group was established. Its role is to drive the planning, monitoring and evaluation of the cultural change process and ensure a strong focus on fostering a workplace culture where our people feel safe, supported and valued.
The Culture Review Implementation Steering Group currently meets monthly and is chaired by the Director-General ACT Health Directorate, who has accountability to the Minister for Health for implementing this system-wide change.
The Culture Review Implementation Steering Group has strong leadership representation and a clear Terms of Reference.
You can read the Meeting Summaries for more information:
Meeting Summary, 13 May 2019
At the inaugural meeting of the Culture Review Implementation Steering Group, members discussed and refined their Terms of Reference.
They agreed that each meeting would include an update from each of the three organisations (the ACT Health Directorate, Canberra Health Services and Calvary Public Hospital Bruce) about progress. This included (but is not limited to) implementing the Independent Review recommendations, resolving staff conduct issues and responding to staff concerns.
The Steering Group endorsed:
- the development of a system-wide implementation plan to guide the implementation of the Independent Review recommendations; and
- a monthly meeting schedule.
Meeting Summary, 2 July 2019
At the second meeting of the Culture Review Implementation Steering Group, members endorsed:
- the revised Terms of Reference;
- agreed to the development of a system-wide Culture Review Implementation Communications and Engagement Strategy;
- the establishment of a Workforce Data Working Group to improve the collection of workforce data and related decision-making across the system.
Agreement was given by the Steering Group to:
- progress initial discussions with the Australian National University (ANU) about a partnership proposal to engage organisational behaviour expertise to support the culture change journey across the ACT public health system
- that nominated people would meet with the Public Sector Standards Commissioner regarding the possible review of Public Standards Unit processes; and
- that a budget governance process be developed to enable agreed culture review implementation activities to be funded from the central culture review implementation budget.
Meeting Summary, 19 July 2019
At the third meeting of the Culture Review Implementation Steering Group, members received a presentation from Associate Professor Alessandra Capezio and Dr Sally Curtis from the College of Business and Economics, Research School of Management at ANU and were able to explore its potential application across the three arms of the ACT public health system.
The presentation outlined an evidence-based approach that could potentially help frame, guide and evaluate the impact of the ACT public health system’s cultural change journey over time, and support sound decision-making. Steering Group members were able to test the merits of the proposed approach and its possible application across the three arms of the ACT public health system.
Meeting Summary, 12 August 2019
At the fourth meeting of the Culture Review Implementation Steering Group, members discussed the proposed ANU partnership to develop a strategic Workplace Culture Change Framework to guide system-wide cultural change and requested that the draft contract be circulated.
The Steering Group agreed:
- to hold further discussions about conducting a system-wide Human Resources (HR) Functions and Resourcing Review:
- that the budget governance process be revised and that information on culture review implementation activities be collated and approval processes for funding reimbursement be outlined.
Meeting Summary, 6 September 2019
- At the fifth meeting the Culture Review Implementation Steering Group, members noted progress of the partnership with the ANU Research School of Management, agreed on the timeframe from which workforce data would be released to the ANU, and noted the progress made by the Workforce Data Working Group.
The Steering Group agreed:
- to revise the HR Function Review approach and finalise this out-of-session.
- that all organisations would provide total spend to date for initiatives that address the recommendations from the Final Report for reimbursement from the culture review implementation budget.
Organisations also provided an outline of initiatives that they are seeking central funding for up until 30 June 2020. This information would be presented and discussed at the next meeting, to support sound resourcing decisions.
Meeting Summary, 30 September 2019
At the sixth meeting of the Culture Review Implementation Steering Group, Associate Professor Barends (visiting from the Netherlands), Associate Professor Capezio and Dr Curtis provided the Steering Group with an update on their interviews and focus group meetings, acknowledged the significant improvements made across the ACT public health system since the Independent Review, and advised next steps in the development of a Workplace Culture Change Framework
The Steering Group endorsed the request for quote seeking a consultancy to conduct the system-wide HR Functions and Resourcing Review, and noted the progress made in commencing the discussion about the system-wide application of the Respect Equity and Diversity (RED) Framework. The Steering Group also endorsed the revised budget governance and reimbursement processes.
Meeting Summary, December 2019 (Out of Session)
The seventh meeting of the Culture Review Implementation Steering Group was held out-of-session. A presentation was provided regarding intranet pages on ‘Positive Culture’, and there was acknowledgement of the substantial collaboration between Communications personnel across the three organisations. The Steering Group also endorsed: The Culture Review Implementation Communications and Engagement Strategy; and the publication of the Culture Review Implementation Communications and Engagement Plan-on-a-Page.
Meeting Summary, 29 January 2020
At the eighth meeting of the Culture Review Implementation Steering Group, Associate Professor Barends, Associate Professor Capezio, Dr Curtis and Ms Hickey from the Research School of Management, ANU College of Business and Economics provided a presentation of the Workplace Change Framework’s (Framework) design process. Rapid Evidence Assessments (REAs) have been conducted to make sense of the data from workshops and interviews with staff. It is expected that the draft Framework will be available for consultation on 14 February 2020, and the final Framework will be available on 16 March 2020.