On 10 September 2018, the Minister for Health and Wellbeing announced the establishment of an Independent Review into the Workplace Culture within ACT Public Health Services.
The Review was established to explore:
- the workplace culture of public healthcare services in the ACT including:
- the Canberra Hospital
- Calvary Public Hospital
- Health Directorate
- Canberra Health Services
- what is working well, including examples of best practice workplace culture
- ideas for how we can improve workplace culture
- workforce policies including complaints/management processes
- claims made in relation to inappropriate conduct and behaviours.
The Terms of Reference for the Review required the Independent Panel to provide their final report to the Minister for Health and Wellbeing by 30 March 2019. The final report was released by the Minister on 7 March 2019.
The Interim Report (released on 1 February 2019) is also available.
The Report made 20 recommendations which have been accepted in-principle by ACT Government.
Culture Review Oversight Group
The Culture Review Oversight Group has been established to drive the implementation of all recommendations of the review and ensure a strong governance framework for the territory-wide response.
The first quarterly meeting of the Culture Review Oversight Group was held on Thursday 28 March 2019.
The next meeting will be held in June.
The Group’s membership includes:
- Minister for Health and Wellbeing (Chair)
- Minister for Mental Health
- Director-General of the ACT Health Directorate
- Chief Executive Officer of Canberra Health Services
- Regional Chief Executive Officer of Calvary ACT
- Regional Secretary of the Community and Public Sector Union
- Branch Secretary of the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ACT)
- President of the Australia Medical Association (ACT)
- Executive Director of the Health Care Consumers Association (ACT)
- President of the Australian Salaried Medical Officers Federation (ACT)
- President of the Visiting Medical Officers Association (ACT)
- Dean, College of Health and Medicine, Australian National University
- Executive Dean, Faculty of Health, University of Canberra
Read the Culture Review Oversight Group’s first Communique for more information.
The draft Terms of Reference for the Culture Review Oversight Group (CROG) were presented to the inaugural meeting on 28 March 2019. It is envisaged that the Terms of Reference will be finalised at the next Oversight Group meeting in June 2019 and will be uploaded here.
The Culture Review Implementation Steering Group (CRISG),Tier 1 Executive Committee, will meet for the first time on 13 May 2019 and will consider the Terms of Reference at that meeting. The finalised Terms of Reference for the Steering Group will be uploaded here.
If you have any questions about the Independent Review or the implementation process for the recommendations email CultureReviewImplementation@act.gov.au
Culture Review Implementation Commitment