The Surgical Procedures, Interventional Radiology and Emergency (SPIRE) Centre is a major health infrastructure project for Canberra and the surrounding region.
The SPIRE Centre will increase our capacity to deliver acute, hospital-based health care in a modern, purpose-built facility. It will see more than $500 million invested in the Canberra Hospital campus.
Through funding in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 ACT Budgets, the first stages of the SPIRE project have included early planning and feasibility work. As part of this process, ACT Health established a Steering Committee and worked closely with health service providers and key stakeholders to establish an agreed baseline from which effective, territory-wide service and infrastructure planning has been undertaken.
On 28 May 2019, the Minister for Health and Wellbeing Meegan Fitzharris announced an expansion of the project’s scope, with many of the project’s key aspects boosted to ensure the facility is able to meet the acute healthcare needs of our growing, and aging, community well into the future.
Features of SPIRE
- boost to the number of operating theatres, delivering more capacity for elective and emergency surgery
- more inpatient beds
- a larger intensive care unit, including paediatric intensive care
- a coronary care unit for people requiring high level care for heart conditions
- integrated radiology and medical imaging facilities
- an expanded Emergency Department
Media release, 29 May 2019
Following extensive planning and feasibility work, SPIRE will be built at the eastern end of the hospital campus.
The advice of the Steering Committee has been critical in determining the optimal location for SPIRE. The proposed location at the eastern end of the campus will minimise disruption to existing critical care services such as the emergency department and helipad, while SPIRE is constructed.
There will be significant planning and consultation going forward as we enter into the next project development stage.
As part of the planning and feasibility work that has been underway, ACT Health has undertaken extensive engagement with the clinical workforce on SPIRE. This will continue in 2019 as early design work progresses. This engagement will include:
- the ongoing oversight of a Steering Committee
- the establishment of specialist user and reference groups to oversee the design and planning of construction works such as ICT, clinical procedures, and accessibility, and
- ongoing communications with staff, consumers and the public.
The project is anticipated to be completed in 2023-24.