Year 7 Health Check Program
Keeping young Canberrans healthy both physically and mentally is important to us.
The ACT Government is planning the implementation of a Year 7 Health Check program to improve the overall health and wellbeing of our young people.
Community consultation on the Year 7 Health Check program was conducted via YourSay from 27 February to 3 April 2019.
You can read the Year 7 Health Check Public Information Paper and Consultation Report through YourSay.
An anonymous health risk factor survey will be pilot tested across government schools in the ACT in 2019. We anticipate the program to be implemented in all Canberra high schools in 2020.
For more information about the proposed Year 7 Health Check Program please email Y7HC@act.gov.au.
The Epidemiology Section provides timely and accurate information on the health of the ACT population, which assists in the development and evaluation of policies and interventions to improve health.
The Epidemiology Section also undertakes projects to examine emerging issues; provides advice and assistance relating to research and evaluation; and conducts research related to key public health issues.
The Epidemiology Section ensures that high quality data and statistics are readily available to inform public health policy and program decisions by engaging with health data users. We provide leadership within the collection, analyses, dissemination and use of health statistics.
To facilitate easy access to up-to-date health information, we now provide web-based data display and statistical reporting via our website HealthStatsACT
Our work program
The Epidemiology Section work program includes:
- Developing the biennial Chief Health Officer's (CHO) Report (a statutory requirement);
- Conducting and commissioning surveys
- Maintaining registers/collections of health conditions and events, such as the ACT Cancer Registry and the ACT Maternal and Perinatal Data Collection
- Producing and disseminating epidemiological information on the health status of people in the ACT
- Developing and building on data systems that collect population health information, including data linkage capabilities
- Developing and reporting on population health performance indicators
- Participating in research activities and collaborations
GPO Box 825,
Canberra ACT 2601