You are known as an ‘inpatient’ when you stay overnight or are admitted for day surgery.
You need an appointment at the Pre-Admission Clinic if your stay in hospital is longer than one day. This appointment is usually in the week before your admission to hospital.
At the Pre-Admission Clinic you can:
- register for hospital admission
- have an interview with an intern, anaesthetist and nurse
- receive information on your surgery
- have a history and physical examination
- gain referrals to physiotherapists, social workers and other medical professionals as required
You may also need an ECG, various medical appointments, blood tests and x-rays and scans.
Day of admission
You must visit the Admissions and Discharge Office on the day of your admission, unless given other instructions by your doctor. Staff can then direct you to the appropriate ward or theatre.
The Admissions and Discharge Office is open from Monday to Friday between 7am and 8:20pm and Sundays between 8:30am and 4:51pm.
During your stay
It’s important you let hospital staff know whenever you intend to leave the ward as medications and medical procedures may be scheduled for you at particular times.
Cleaning takes place on each ward regularly and may be noisy. You can check with the nursing staff for cleaning times.