About the Mental Health Act 2015
The Mental Health Act 2015 came into effect in the ACT on 1 March 2016; some sections of the Act apply to moving between states and territories.
For definitions of terms used in these resources, please see the definitions table.
For information on Mental Health (Secure Facilities) Act 2016, please visit the ACT Legislation Register.
About the Chief Psychiatrist and Care Coordinator
The Chief Psychiatrist and Care Coordinator are independent statutory officers appointed by the Minister for Mental Health.
The Chief Psychiatrist and Care Coordinator of the ACT is Dr Dinesh Arya.
The functions of the Chief Psychiatrist and Care Coordinator include:
- Administering and monitoring the use of the Mental Health Act 2015
- Monitoring and improving the delivery and standard of mental health care
- Monitoring the treatment and care of patients
- Appointing and setting out the functions of delegates and mental health officers
- Making guidelines for people exercising a function under the Mental Health Act 2015
- Conducting inspections and investigations
- Providing an annual report
- Making recommendations to the Minister for Mental Health about mental health service delivery
- Promoting continuous improvement in the organisation and delivery of mental health services.
For advice or clinical support on administration of the Mental Health Act 2015 -
Phone: (02) 5124 6137