- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 500g beef rump steak, fat trimmed, cut into 2cm cubes
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 red capsicum, de-seeded, cubed
- 2 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 80g salad leaves, washed and dried
Approx 30-40 min. Serves 4
You will need 12 bamboo skewers for this recipe.
- Combine oil, garlic, thyme and pepper in a small bowl.
- Soak 12 bamboo skewers in cold water for 5 minutes. Drain and dry with paper towel.
- Thread beef, mushrooms, capsicum and zucchini alternately onto the skewers. Brush the skewers with some of the oil mixture.
- Heat a barbecue or grill. Reduce heat to medium; add the skewers to the barbecue and cook, turning and brushing with the remaining oil mixture occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until just cooked.
- Combine the extra oil, vinegar and pepper in a small jug. Place the kebabs and salad leaves on a plate. Drizzle the salad leaves with dressing and serve with crusty bread roll or rice.
- To boost vegetable intake, serve kebabs with corn on the cob.
- When cooking with oil it is best to use monounsaturated and polyunsaturated varieties such as canola, olive and sunflower oil.
Family Eating Tip
Involve your children in preparing meals. Research shows that children who help prepare food are more likely to eat it. It also builds skills and confidence.