- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced (optional)
- 1/2 bunch coriander, stalk chopped and leaves picked
- Spice mix: 1 teaspoon each of curry powder, turmeric, ground cumin and coriander
- 500g beef, diced
- 1 x 800g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre beef stock
- 2 cups spinach, 1 zucchini diced, 1 cup frozen peas (or other vegetables in season)
- 1/2 tin chickpeas or other cooked beans
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- Low fat Greek yoghurt, to serve
Approx 90 min. Serves 4
- In a large pot, heat vegetable oil on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, eggplant and coriander stalk and sauté until soft.
- Add spice mix and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Add canned tomatoes and beef stock. Stir well. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down to low.
- Cook on a simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour, or until the meat is soft and tender. You may need to add a little more stock or water if the curry is looking dry.
- Cook rice according to directions on packet and set aside.
- Add other vegetables (e.g. chickpeas, zucchini, spinach), stir and heat through.
- Add coriander leaves. Serve with rice and plain yoghurt.
- Double the recipe and store the leftovers in the fridge or freezer for another night.
- Instead of spice mix, use a jar of curry paste (check instructions on jar before adding paste).
Page last updated on: 17 Sep 2019