- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts or 500g thigh fillets, cut in thin strips
- 2 sachets Mexican seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 x 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can corn kernels, drained
- 8 tortillas
- 1 medium jar tomato salsa
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup low fat cheese, grated
- 1 cup low fat sour cream or Greek yoghurt (optional)
Approx 20-25 min. Serves 4
- Heat oil in pan. Add onion and capsicum and sauté until soft. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned.
- Add Mexican seasoning and mix thoroughly. Turn heat down and continue to cook, tossing regularly to prevent burning.
- Add water and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add kidney beans and corn kernels and heat through.
- Remove from heat. Place tortilla on a plate and top with chicken mix, tomato salsa, salad, low fat cheese and low fat sour cream.
Try this meal without the chicken. Vegetarian fajitas provide plenty of protein, iron and fibre.
Family Eating Tip
Place all the toppings on the table and allow family members to prepare their own Fajitas. Children enjoy buffet style meals. It gives them independence and helps them to choose foods that match their food preferences and appetite.