- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- 2 chicken breasts or 500g thigh fillets, diced
- 4 tablespoons salt reduced tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked pasta (e.g. penne, spaghetti, spiral, linguine)
- 1/2 cup low fat cheddar or feta cheese, grated or crumbled
Approx 20-25 min. Serves 4
- Place oil, onion and garlic in heated pan and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Add chicken, lightly browning on all sides.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, capsicum and celery. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions on packet.
- Serve chicken pasta sauce over hot pasta and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Fresh tomato or vegetable based pasta sauces are the best choice.
- For extra flavour, add dried or fresh herbs e.g. Italian mixed herbs or basil.
- Replace chicken with a 400g tin of brown lentils rinsed and drained and a teaspoon of cumin for a cheaper and tasty alternative. Top with crumbled feta.
Family Eating Tip
Low or reduced fat dairy foods are suitable for children over 2 years of age.