- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 stems celery, chopped
- 2 cups chopped pumpkin
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 500ml reduced salt vegetable stock
- 375ml can reduced fat evaporated milk
- 10 fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 25g feta cheese
- Pepper to taste
Approx 35 minutes. Serves 4
- Heat oil in pan. Add garlic and onion, Cook until softened. Add celery and pumpkin. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add rice to pan and stir through. Allow the rice to coat the mix and start to heat through.
- When the rice starts to look a little translucent gradually add half of the stock while stirring. Allow to simmer until the stock has been absorbed before adding the remaining stock. Simmer for a further 10 minutes stirring regularly until the rice has absorbed all of the stock.
- Add the evaporated milk and stir through. Simmer for a further 10 minutes until the rice has absorbed the remaining liquid and has become tender.
- When the rice is just cooked, take the fry-pan off the heat and stir in the sage, spinach and feta cheese.
- Serve immediately with pepper to taste.
Whole uncut pumpkins can be kept in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place for up to two months. Cut pumpkin needs to be covered in cling wrap and will store in the refrigerator for up to seven days.
Recipe republished with permission from Nutrition Australia ACT Inc.