- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 small green capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt reduced tomato paste
- 6 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 packet pita bread, cut into triangles
- Canola or olive oil spray
Approx 20-30 min. Serves 4
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Add chilli and capsicum. Cook for a further 2 minutes. Mix through tomato paste and tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until thick.
- Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- While cooling, preheat oven to 180°C. Oil baking tray. Spread pita triangles on baking tray in a single layer and spray with oil. Bake for 5 minutes then turn over and bake for a further 5 minutes until golden.
- Add red capsicum, celery and shallots if you have them on hand.
- Serve with vegetable sticks (e.g. carrot, cucumber, beans) for a hearty snack.
- Sprinkle ground cumin, coriander, chilli or Mexican seasoning on pita chips for extra flavour.
Family Eating Tip
Turn this recipe into an evening meal by serving salsa with pasta spirals and grated cheese on top.