- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 tablespoons or 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 x 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons salt reduced tomato paste
- 4 cups seasonal vegetables, diced or grated (e.g. carrot, beans, peas, capsicum, corn, grated zucchini, mushroom)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup low fat tasty cheese, grated
Approx 50-60 min. Serves 4
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Boil potatoes.
- Mash potatoes and milk together. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat and add beef mince and onion. Cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until brown.
- Add kidney beans, tomato paste, vegetables and stock. Bring to boil and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Place the mince mix in a deep baking dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Choose vegetables in season. They taste great and are often cheaper too.
Family Eating Tip
Iron is important for energy, brain development and growth. Try to include iron-containing foods at each meal, e.g. red meat, chicken, fish, legumes, eggs, nuts and seeds.