We heard from mums and mums-to-be that it’s not always clear what to do when you first find out you’re having a baby and it’s tricky to find out about all the public birthing options that are available to you. That’s why we’ve introduced Canberra Maternity Options.
To access public maternity care in the ACT, you need to make an appointment with a midwife for when you are about 10 weeks pregnant, so your preference of care can be sent to your chosen hospital as soon as possible.
You will need to meet with a midwife even if this is not your first pregnancy or if you have already decided which model of pregnancy care you’d like.
During your first appointment, the midwife will ask you several questions, including:
- your health and medical history
- your personal preferences of how you would like to be cared for during your pregnancy and birth.
The health and wellbeing assessment and discussion will help the midwife identify what suitable pregnancy care and birthing options are available for you to choose from.
If your GP identifies risk factors while confirming your pregnancy, they may refer you directly to the Fetal Medicine Unit.
We encourage you to read up on what pregnancy and care options are available before meeting with the midwife.
Your first meeting with a midwife will be close to home at one of the following locations, including:
- Belconnen Community Health Centre: 56 Lathlain Street, Belconnen
- City Health Centre: 1 Moore St, City
- Dickson Community Health Centre: 111 Dickson Pl, Dickson
- Florey Child Health Centre: 57 Ratcliffe Crescent, Florey
- Gungahlin Child and Family Centre: 51 Ernest Cavanagh St, Gungahlin
- Gungahlin Community Health Centre: 51 Ernest Cavanagh Street, Gungahlin
- Kambah Health Centre: 37 Kingsmill Street, Kambah
- Lanyon Child Health Centre: 23 Sidney Nolan Street, Conder
- Narrabundah Early Childhood Centre: 23 – 27 Kootara Crescent, Narrabundah
- Ngunnawal Child Health Centre: 103 Wanganeen Avenue, Ngunnawal
- Phillip Community Health Centre: 17 Corinna Street, Phillip
- Tuggeranong Child and Family Centre: 159 Anketell St, Greenway
- Tuggeranong Community Health Centre: 159 Anketell Street, Greenaway
- West Belconnen Child and Family Centre: 6 Luke Street, Holt