The Health Protection Service is responsible for investigating complaints that present a public health risk in the ACT.
We investigate a range of complaints:
- Food safety including food poisoning, foreign matter and contamination, pests, food handling, cleanliness and premises.
- Infection control businesses that pierce skin including dentists, podiatrists, acupuncturists, beauty therapists, nail salons, tattooists, body piercers, medical practices, pathology collection centres and also hairdressers.
- Medicines and poisons including forgery, theft, storage, supply errors and unauthorised prescribing, possession or supply.
- Radiation safety including the use of ionising radiation (such as X-rays) and the storage and use of radioactive substances.
- Environmental health issues including offensive odours, garbage, water quality, mould, residential overcrowding, insanitary conditions, boarding houses, sewerage chokes and health issues at regulated businesses including swimming pools and spas.
How to make a complaint
You can make a complaint to the Health Protection Service by phone, email or by post:
- Phone: 02 5124 9700
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: Locked Bag 5005
Weston Creek ACT 2611
In your complaint please include:
- The name and address of the premises (if applicable).
- The nature of the public health issue.
- Your name and contact details (phone number, email, postal address) so we can contact you for more details and update you on the outcome of your complaint. You can make a complaint anonymously if you prefer.
- For food poisoning or food contamination complaints, please tell us if you have kept a sample of the food.
Other types of complaints
If your complaint is not about a public health issue, another agency may be able to investigate:
- Domestic Animal Services
Dog attacks, animal nuisance matters, injured animals, impounded dogs and lost/found animals.
- Environment Protection Authority
Water pollution, air pollution, noise pollution, waste, litter and chemical pollution.
- City Rangers
Sharps removal, illegal activities, line of sight problems and use of unleased Territory land.
- Access Canberra
Tobacco and liquor licensing and smoke-free area enforcement.
Is your complaint about the Health Protection Service itself?
The Health Protection Service is committed to providing quality customer service. If you have a concern or issue with the service you have received from the Health Protection Service or a staff member there are multiple ways to raise your concern with us:
- Informally with the staff member providing the service or their manager.
- Formally with the staff member’s manager.
- By contacting us by phone, email or post.
- Through the ACT Health Customer Feedback Form.